Friday, September 9, 2011

The Frankenstein Syndrome



Directed by Sean Tretta
Starring Tiffany Shepis, Ed Lauter, Louis Mandylor, Scott Anthony Leet

This is not a great film although it does have it's moments. An interesting interpretation of the Mary Shelley's famous novel, but had more in common with Herbert West than Frankenstein as a serum was used to bring life back to the dead. The film's main plot has Elizabeth Banks being interviewed by F.B.I. agents Woolstonecraft and Godwin ( nudge, nudge, wink, wink ) with Elizabeth narrating into their video camera. This is one of the faults I have with this picture, I find it odd that she is able to relate the actions and conversations of others when she wasn't even present, nit picking I know but it removed me from totally indulging myself into the story. Another thing I was bothered with was the aspect that director/ writer Sean Tretta approached regarding the heavy religious overtones towards the creature as a Christ like figure. I'm not an overly religious person, just thought a little more subtlety may have worked, less is more sometimes especially when water is turned into fruit punch, Whales did it better.
Tiffany Shepis plays a hot young scientist hired onto a secret organization to experiment with the human healing process using stem cell research. Too bad no one questions where these stem cells are coming from.
The best thing about this film is the performance of Scott Anthony Leet who plays the "monster" sans make up. He makes for a chilling creature that has lived, died and now reborn, with the need to relearn everything all over again. This performance alone is worth at least one watch of the film.


My Final Thoughts: No nudity, little gore but there are worse films out there.
My Rating: Two Go Go Girls out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment